Monday, December 22, 2008

Pseudo Research and Closed Mindedness

One of my Jack of All Trades traits - I don't mind changing my mind when I'm proven wrong or when research shows it. Practicality has to come into play also.

I will admit, I do not understand this King James Version Only (KJVO) mind set or the research they use to back up that the King James Version (KJV) is God's inspired word to English speaking people. Tell me it might be your preference, although I think if they really gave one of the newer versions a chance, they'd lay the KJV down, but don't make up Pseudo Research to support an unsupportable stance.

Here's one that was posted on the Baptist Board this weekend:
Which Version is the Bible? by FLOYD NOLEN JONES, Th.D., Ph.D.

These papers are entered into with one thing in mind and one thing only: to prove that the KJV is the one and only approved word of God. Nothing will get in their way. If they tripped over a piece of research that showed that God fearing men, qualified linquists, expert researchers, etc. translated the exact same texts used in the KJV, it would NOT be enough, it would NEVER be enough. Minds are made up. Case is closed.

Another thing that bothers me is the need to tear down ALL modern versions. Now some are now worth the paper on which they are written. But to say that all men except those that translated the KJV had nefarious intentions or that God stopped working through tranlations with the KJV is just plain hard to swallow.

NKJV: Counterfeit Case in point. This one is rich. I think you would agree regardless of the side you take on this debate.

This is not going to be solved. It's not worth getting into. I do not see why both sides just don't let the other be - like the drinking debate. But for whatever reason they don't.

4 comments:

tcrob said...

This is one debate I have no patience for. I just think the whole this is absurd.

Jack Of All Trades said...

And once again, I totally agree with you! I'm not going to read to consistently read books that are 400 years old! Why should the book that I read most often be stuck in that time period!?!

Celia said...

Our Preacher is one of those KJV only Preachers that gets really upset when someone (like me) reads a different version. I do agree that memorizing verses is confusing when everyone is memorizing different versions but that's the extent of my agreeing. I've been pretty wide-eyed at some of the changes the KJV took liberty to add to the original text, myself.

Jack Of All Trades said...

Celia, we need to get your pastor posting on the Baptist Board. He may not change his mind, but he'll be well educated at least. ;)

Of course the downside is that he'll meet a some other people who also only read the KJV too.