Monday, December 8, 2008

Glorious Jesus!

Piper's latest sermon arrived in my email box. He's preaching through John. These are the titles for Jesus in just John 1:
  1. The Word. Verse 1: “In the beginning was the Word.”
  2. God. Verse 1: “And the Word was God.”
  3. Light. Verse 9: “The true light . . . was coming into the world.”
  4. Jesus Christ. Verse 17: “Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.”
  5. Lamb of God. Verse 29: “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
  6. Rabbi. Verse 38: “And they said to him, ‘Rabbi’ (which means Teacher), where are you staying?”
  7. Messiah. Verse 41: “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ).”
  8. Son of God. Verse 49: “You are the Son of God!”
  9. King of Israel. V
    Publish Post
    erse 49: “You are the King of Israel!”
  10. Son of Man. Verse 51: “You will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”
Those have a new meaning to me since I've worked through them now as a teacher and because we spent quite a bit of time with those in Bible.

Last section of sermon:

God’s Greatest Glory: Dying for Sinners

So you could say that the greatest glory Nathanael, or you and I, would ever see is the glory of the Son of Man, the Lord of heaven, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, lifted up on a cross to die for sinners.

So when you see him this Advent season as Son of God, and as King of Israel, and as Son of Man, make sure that you see him dying to give you eternal life and, therefore, see him as glorious.

-John Piper

Glorious Savior! Who am I that you looked on me? That you care for me, that you died for me? Oh Glorious Savior!

2 comments:

tcrob said...

Thanks for the heads up. I do like the emphasis through the chapter. Good stuff, I say!

Jack Of All Trades said...

Amen Brother! Just what we should be focusing on during this season I think. The perfect gift!